Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pinterest Challenge

I am pumped to have another Pinterest Challenge to link to….Thanks to Sherry, Katie, Erin and Ana



My sister-in-law Dana gave me a light bulb a few weeks ago and wanted me to try making a terrarium using it.  We had both seen a clip from CBS Sunday Morning on Terrarium's as well as tons of inspiration on Pinterest. 
This light bulb came from Dana’s Husbands Motorcycle & ATV showroom Cyclemax.  It is a larger commercial bulb, but still a tiny home for plants. 
I found my inspiration from two different pins Pinterest, one is a great video tutorial I’ve shared at the bottom of the post.  You can see the other pin site below too.  I tried to make a video of myself making this one for you guys but it was really awful…  I had to pause many times and you could see my double chin so that sealed the deal of it not making the blog :) 
Here is Finished Product!!
IMG_6280 
IMG_6281
IMG_6282
Step 1….
Gather your materials
IMG_6256
You will need:
Plants…teeny tiny ones
Soil
Charcoal
Rocks or Pebbles
Moss
IMG_6257
Needle Nose Pliers
Screwdriver
Long Tweezers or Tongs
IMG_6258
Container (my choice, a light bulb)
Step 2…
Break the ceramic end out of the light bulb using the pliers and the screwdriver
IMG_6259
IMG_6262
I had to break out an additional glass layer on the inside of this bulb.
IMG_6263
Step 3…
I had to pull out the insides of this bulb and it was NOT easy.   As you can see the inside was wider than the neck of the bulb and I thought I could squeeze it down with the tweezers.
IMG_6265
But…I broke it!!! My one and only bulb!
IMG_6267
But the insides came out easy :)
IMG_6268
And luckily I had some super glue on hand.
After that small hiccup I started layer my materials inside the bulb using the long tweezers and a small measuring spoon.  Starting with pebbles, then charcoal, moss, soil, plant, and a little more moss.
IMG_6270
IMG_6271
IMG_6272
After the plant was added I put a little more soil and moss on top and it’s all done. 
IMG_6273
Click Here to see the Video Tutorial I found through my Pinterest Pin
I also “Pinned” from The Hipster Home –Check out this site for another cute light bulb Terrarium. 
Hope you enjoyed!
IMG_6276
Tip:  The long tweezers came from PetCo pet store…they are actually called long tongs and are used to feed reptiles.  I tried the craft stores first with no luck and found the helpful hint online about finding these at the pet stores.
Be sure to check out all the sites above to see all the Pinterest Challenges :)
April


Linked to:

7 comments:

  1. This is SO cute! I see these for sale all over Etsy but never tried to make one. Yours turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! I love the interesting bulb...the elongated shape makes it pretty smashing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool and so unique. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally pumped to have made the blog! Your terrarium looks great! Where did you get the tiny bits of charcoal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Everyone!
    Dana, you can but the charcoal in garden centers. I think I got mine from Lowes or Logans in downtown Raleigh. I've had it a while and have alot if you need some. I use it when I plant in my apothecary jars too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the coolest thing. I can't imagine making one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That has got to be the coolest light bulb ever! Love it and nice save with the super glue!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete